Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lucille's Lament

My dear child, have you forgotten
The babe that I once knew
With golden hair and bright eyes
Whose sins amounted to few?

Still I worried for your soul
When you were and infant I christened you,
So if you died an untimely death
It would be heaven that you’d go to

My cold arms may never hold you again
From heaven I still look down
To watch over my sweet granddaughter
Who in her troubles she has drowned

Her golden hair has turned dull
The light has gone from her eyes
Her face is weary from sorrow
From the guilt she feels for her lies

Do you feel bad lying to your parents,
So you can drink away your troubles?
You gave yourself up at seventeen
And your problems surely doubled

Constantly turning to others for approval
Always changing to earn someone’s love
Instead you got disappointment, betrayal,
Not realizing the love you need is above

The world to her “fend for yourself”
She began to mirror the selfishness
She continued to commit other sins,
Embracing her new ruthlessness

I see you for what you are
You cower at the thought of God’s might
So you tell yourself there is no God
And it is up to you to decide what is right

Where is that beautiful child?
She is not a part of you now
How could she be behind those judgmental eyes
Or  stay smiling behind your scowl?

At one point you did try
To do what’s right, and I was proud
But you let the world corrupt you
And the call of evil was too loud

I’m sorry I could not be there for you
With my time I did all I could
I loved you and protected you
Like every grandmother should

But it was you who turned your back on God
But  I will still miss you so
Because when the angel of death carries you away
It is to hell that you will go

13 comments:

  1. This is a very daunting poem. It portrays the story of a person that I feel many could relate too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this it is so scary, yet at the same time its a warning, showing that you shouldnt always turn your back on people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written! I sense a connection to Dorian Gray?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Taylor, this is amazing :) I love reading this and I love how descriptive you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this was a very heavy piece. I could feel a mood of seriousness when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It makes more sense to me now that I have read it as opposed to hearing it read allowed. I just want to tell this person, "don't give up, it isn't too late!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. the first time i heard you read this i thought it was very beautiful but it made me sad. i also feel like i can relate to it because i too have had struggles with losing myself and i feel like a persons faith is apart of who they are. i just think yo ushould know that regardless of mistakes made theres still going to be a lot of people who are proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very descriptive and haunting, Taylor. I really enjoyed reading this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Taylor. This was really deep. It made me want to cry as I was reading it. It was very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's nice and poetic then all of a sudden bam, straight to hell you go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very well written, I enjoyed the reference to Dorian Gray

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember when you first showed this to me, I enjoyed it oh so much and could relate to it a lot.

    ReplyDelete