Tuesday, May 15, 2012


Definition for the Love of Music                                                                                             

I guess I was about nine years old when I started getting into music. I really liked rock music and the way it sounded. I watched my dad and his friends play and I thought I would like to learn to play. I like all of the instruments in a band but I really liked the drums. On my 11th birthday I asked for my first set of drums.  My mom and dad got me a five piece set of sun lite drums which were not expansive but worked really well to learn on. My parents told me then if I worked hard at playing they would get me a better set but I was happy with what I had at that time. I never took lessons but my dad could play (a little bit) and he showed me enough to get started. My parents had a lot of friends that played music some played guitar some played bass some keyboard and some sang. With all those people around we started learning songs. At that time we couldn’t play whole songs just bits and pieces the songs but it was fun and prepared me for things to come. We played in my dad’s work shop it was a little tight but was good enough. A couple of years went by and my taste of what kind of music I liked change some and I started  liking heavy metal and music that had a lot more speed to it. From drummers stand point you had to have a drum kit with double bass drums or at least a double bass pedal. So on my 14th birthday my parents got me a new set of drums. This set of drums was much better than my first set. They were a set of black and chrome tama rock star drums with the double bass pedals and this were six piece set with more symbols as well. I thought this was awesome with the addition of the new drums and parts this made playing much more exciting. I was able to learn and play a lot of different things that I couldn’t play before and that gave me a newly found love of the music. Playing music with so many different people helped me with my skills as well. Some of my dad’s friends were a little older so they liked to play different styles of music other than what my favorite was. We played everything from classic rock to southern rock and hard rock to heavy metal. Another cool part of the music plan was that we built a new band/ practice room. I was much bigger 26 feet by 20 feet which gave up 520 square feet to practice in. with all that room we were able to build me a drum riser about one  foot off the floor to set my drums on. The cool part about this is that playing drums you are sitting down while everybody else is standing and with my drum set being on the riser it put me more of  an eye level with everyone else and makes it easier to communicate and know the cues and stop of  each song. I got to just have jam time with several people we would play some song we already knew and play cover songs it count be wrong but covering songs from other bands is a little more challenging because if you really like the song you want to do it justice and make it sound good. Sometimes it want sound exactly like the  original because it has your own touch added to it which is also great. We now have a full band and play regally we have a twenty song set list that we can play front to back with no problem. Being able to play that many songs takes a lot of memory and practice but it’s fun so it doesn’t seem like work. I believe if you like what you are doing then you will never be working it will always be fun. Music for me is fun and what I love to do. I hope one day I might be able to do it every day and get paid for it. If it all works out like that then I will never have to actually work it will all be done for the love of music. Any musicians that plays I hope you make to the top and go for your dreams.

5 comments:

  1. Spencer, thanks so much for writing this. I can tell you're very passionate about music and that's really wonderful! I had no idea you were so serious about drumming. Who are your favorite bands?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spencer ! haha you and your music, i knew this was you just from the tittle, good job, loved reading this !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very entertaining piece to read, and I find your love for music to be an awesome thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music is one of the things that makes the world go round. Everybody has a different taste and just like art nothing is ever wrong it is all based off perspective. We should all do what we enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that you are very passionate about your music and that is a great thing. Good job.

    ReplyDelete