Tuesday, May 22, 2012

friendship

             High school friendships are more likely to pass the test of time then middle school friendships are. This is due to the fact that we are in such a sudden pace of change, we are just figuring ourselves out and none of us really have a good judge of character. The friendship I have with a girl known by the name of Whitney Head surely passed the test of time. I met her when I was twelve years old at time where we were both barely making our way through middle school and without knowing, trying to make our way out of the false shell’s we had created. When I look back it’s so strange to think that when we met we were twelve year old girls in seventh grade. Now we are seventeen and almost woman about to graduate high school and head out into a whole different world. It has been such a good friendship, one that has blessed me with growth and with a whole new understanding about life.
            The past two years I have learned a lot about people, about how you should surround yourself with good people. Good people, who by being in your life make you a better person, lift you up instead of bring you down. I came across this realization the more mine and Whitney’s friendship progressed because of the fact that she is such a good person. She makes an attempt to bring me up when I’m way down and usually succeeds with that task. She makes me strive to be better, makes me want to be better and has made me better. She is someone I respect most in the world.
            This year has been a tough one but the more I think about it the more I realize almost every year has had its difficulties. However, I’d be lying if I said this hasn’t been one of the toughest and throughout it Whitney has been by my side the whole way and I’m so thankful for that. Somewhere down the road this year I lost my way but she was always there reminding me that I am a fighter, that I am strong and that I am better than the person I was making myself out to be. Whitney has always been harsh in the best kind of ways; she’s only ever harsh when it’s for my best benefit.
            It’s nice to have this sort of comfort in knowing that she will always be here fighting for me even if sometimes it’s with me. There’s quite a comfort in knowing she will be here making sure I stay strong and making sure I don’t give up. I’ve also watched her go through some pretty tough things this year. Things that made me sit there and question logic, because it wasn’t logical to me that these things were happening to her. It wasn’t logical because she never deserved any of it, because she deserves to get what she gives and that is love and kindness, and loyalty, and trust, and passion. And if she were not to receive all those things faith will have failed me. I would have viewed life as one big joke because if people like her were never to receive those things it’d be an abomination. The beautiful thing however, is that faith never fails.
            People like to say that they were created and as they were created another person was created and that this person was created for the other. People say that this person created for them was connected to them at the soul and they were called soul mates. I and she clearly are not soul mates but I do like to categorize us into a subgroup of that nature, I believe we are soul sisters. In my eyes it is not strange to imagine her as my best friend because it feels like that’s the way it has always been but others question our friendship. In other people’s eyes we are the opposite of each other and that is true, but we balance each other out. We do have things in common and sometimes it may not seem like much but these things are the things that matter most.
            To me all that matters in a friendship is that the two people in it genuinely like each other, that the two people in it respect the other, that the two people in it loves the other, fights with the other, fights for the other, and reminds the other to fight. All that matters in a friendship is that you are willing to be selfless, you are un-willing to give up and you are there to remind that person of what a beautiful person they are. I think anyone can instantly and clearly see that I genuinely like Whitney. Through my actions it is not hard to tell that I respect her, I respect her more than I’ve ever respected anyone else, for many reasons, but mainly for being a wonderful and strong person.
            Whitney has taught me what it means to not be afraid to be who I am. She has taught me to stand up for myself and she has taught me to be an open and honest person. I love her to the moon and back a million times over again. She has been the family I’ve never had. Before now I’d never be able to openly admit how much I care about a person but she taught me to open my heart wider then I’d ever imagine was possible.
I keep going everyday even when sometimes I feel like I can’t because I’m fighting for her. Fighting for her to be the best she can be, fighting for myself to be better. Fighting for her to realize how much strength she has. I will always be here to constantly remind her that she is strong and that she can get through anything and that because of her I too am stronger.
             This is one friendship I do not plan to give up on and will never give up on, because she is one person I will never give up on because she never gave up on me. I couldn’t give up on her because I believe in her because she made me believe in myself. I think about the future more often than I would like to but when I imagine it I can’t imagine it without her because she has been my saving grace, my guardian angel. She is responsible for who I am and who I am is someone I am proud to be. So every day I want her to know that she is a beautiful person that her smile lights up a whole room, that her smile reminds me that I have a reason to smile too. She is beautiful to the core of her being, she has a beautiful heart and soul and well of course a pretty face. Those reasons though are not even a quarter of what makes her as beautiful as she is. She is the greatest person I know and the greatest gift I could ever ask for and without her I’d be lost in this scary world.

9 comments:

  1. I like this narrative, Moriah. I think it is important that we all do have friends in life that can be there for us at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this narrative Moriah. I can definitely relate to it. Samm and I have passed the test of time as well, just like you and Whitney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Females, shaking my head. I do view friendship in the same way you do, and sometimes you may meet new friends who may hold up for years to come also. Never stop looking for someone to lean on.

      Delete
  4. I thought this was a great piece. It's a great thing to have someone who has made such a positive impact on your life for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moriah I can agree with this. Whitney has been one of my friends ever since fist grade. I can always count on her being there for me whenever I need her. She has a great way to keep me grounded. I can not believe that I did not like you in seventh grade. I guess I was just upset that you where taking my best friend at the time. However, as time progressed I realized why she was friends with you and we became closer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww this is sweet. And Whitney, are you reading these comments? It seems like you have touched many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Samantha Christine Doorley, how many times must I tell you that it was your friendship with Jenna Edwards that broke us up? Crazy girl. Just kidding. I love you. Lunch date soon.

    Yes, Mrs. Biondi, I am reading them. I think I will have lived a good life if I have, at the end, made a good impact on the majority of people I've encountered. I want to leave this world with a few people happier because I was in it. That's all I can really hope for.

    ReplyDelete